Beaufort County Cooperative Extension’s 4-H Youth Development program is holding a nine week program focusing on gardening for children ages 5 through 18.
The program, Just Grow It!, will focus on these different gardening topics on a weekly basis:
- Super Seeds – Dig into activities around seeds. Youth will grow microgreens and create their own seed necklace. Learn what seeds need in order to germinate and grow.
- Starting the Garden – Youth will learn all about how to make paper pots, a mini-greenhouse, and grow some seedlings inside for an early start to the garden.
- Planting the Garden – Find the right spot for the garden and get growing by sowing seeds and transplanting veggie seedlings. Gather garden tools and just grow it.
- Garden Care – Figure out how to care for the garden and make plant labels and a rain gauge too.
- Splendid Soil – Learn more about the soil, its role in growing healthy plants, and investigate an earthworm.
- Beneficial Bugs – Find out the buzz on how insects impact our plants.
- Plant Problems – Observe plants in the garden for any issues and try to find out what is causing them.
- Food Safety – Learn how to handle plants with care to keep yourself and others safe while enjoying the vegetables.
- Salad Celebration – Celebrate all of your hard work by making a salad with fresh veggies from your garden.
There will be a bi-weekly optional check-in on Zoom to check garden progress and hear from others